- Huawei Company representatives visited Nis and met and discussed the cooperation on the project Nis – Smart City with Nis City Mayor Darko Bulatović and his associates, as well as with the representatives of the Ministry of Trade, Tourism and Telecommunications. At the working meeting at Nis City Hall Huawei’s delegation presented the potentials and capabilities of this technology giant, which had already been implemented in a number of cities, and whose functioning greatly enhanced the functionality of these cities and had a particularly positive impact on the quality of life of residents. This is primarily reflected in the reduction of traffic and communal problems, which again leads to a reduction in pollution, energy efficiency, and savings in electricity and ultimately in saving money needed for the functioning of the most important city systems.
- The Delegation of the City of Nis, comprised of the Assistant Mayor Milos Milosevic, the director of PUC Mediana Dragoslav Pavlovic, and the director of the PUC Parking Service Dejan Dimitrijevic, took part in the traditional Smart Cities Forum in Shenzhen, China at the invitation of the Huawei Company. The Forum presented the accomplishments that have been achieved in this area in a number of cities in the world, and which, in cooperation with the Huawei Company, would be implemented in Nis. The association of smart cities currently gathers around 700 metropolises, including Beijing, Singapore, Barcelona, Dubai and many others. The goal is to create smart digital services for citizens that will enable a safer and smarter society and ambience. Integration of these technologies will help city administrations build a safe, intelligent and efficient social and economic environment. As part of the Forum, the members of the Nis delegation had a series of meetings with the representatives of Huawei’s management, as well as a tour of the Centrale Corporation and command centers managed by the complete system of smart and security services in the city of Shenzhen, which is the world leader in the implementation of high-tech innovations in organization of the functioning of the city.
- Nis City Mayor Darko Bulatovic signed the Memorandum of Understanding with the President of XINGYU Company Mrs. Xiaoping Zu, the President of the Company, related to the construction of the company’s factory in Nis. Mr. Goran Knezevic, the Minister of Economy, signed the MoU on behalf of the RS Government. XINGYU is one of the leading manufacturers of LED lighting in the automotive industry with production facilities worldwide, including Germany, Japan and China, with clients such as AUDI, BMW, LANDROVER, PSA , RENAULT, OPEL; Japanese car manufacturers: TOJOTA, NISSAN, HONDA, MAZDA; American car manufacturers: GENERAL MOTORS and FORD and Chinese car manufacturers: CHERY, GAC, FAW-CAR, GLEE. Basic production of the company is located in China. Company plans to relocate part of production to Europe due to the proximity of its customers. The greater part of production for European customers would be realized in Serbia. The company chose to invest in Serbia and selected the Nis, after almost a year of negotiations and decision-making process, taking into consideration the experience of local Nis team in the implementation of the investment projects, the scope and method of implementing them, the location itself. During this period of negotiations, four visits of various representatives of the company were organized, from October 2018 to May 2019, and a series of activities were undertaken to collect and deliver relevant information to representatives of investors, by the Office for Local Economic Development and Projects in cooperation with Development Agency of Serbia. The company recognized the industrial tradition of Nis, development resources, and human resources, which primarily relies on the capacities of the University of Nis, the logistics position of the city and the connection to the European destinations and the professionalism and commitment of the local team and management to the implementation of a joint project.
- Nis City Mayor Darko Bulatovic together with the Vice President of the Government of the Republic of Serbia and Minister of Trade, Tourism and Telecommunications Rasim Ljajic and Minister of Finance Sinisa Mali met with Huawei’s management. After the meeting, Bulatovic expressed satisfaction with the fact that the City of Nis was covered by the Memorandum of Cooperation between the Government of Serbia and Huawei on the development of smart cities. “It was generally agreed that Nis would be the first local self-government in Serbia in which a smart city project should be implemented. In this sense, we will select three utility service companies from the seven tested in the coming period, which will be covered by the pilot project. The smart city project in the future will significantly ease the daily life of the citizens of Nis, “Mayor Bulatovic said. Huawei Vice President Li Jian pointed out that a delegation of the company would visit Nis in the next four weeks to discuss on the ground what communal services would be most suitable for the implementation of the smart city project. He added that Nis could be a good example of developing the smart city concept not only in Serbia, but also in Europe.
- Nis City Mayor Darko Bulatovic is the official member of Serbian national delegation at the Second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation which is being held in Beijing. The Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), also known as the One Belt One Road or the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st-century Maritime Silk Road is a Chinese Government development strategy involving infrastructure development and investments in 152 countries and international organisations in Europe, Asia, Middle East, Latin America and Africa. Since the establishment of the comprehensive strategic partnership between China and Serbia in 2016, bilateral cooperation in various fields has been advancing steadily. A Serbian delegation headed by President Aleksandar Vucic signed several bilateral agreements on the first day of a visit to Beijing on Wednesday. Nis City Mayor Darko Bulatovic attended the signing of the MoU between Republic of Serbia Minister of Trade, Tourism and Telecommunications Mr. Rasim Ljajic and telecoms giant Huawei for the Smart Cities project for the cities of Belgrade, Novi Sad and Nis.The purpose of this document is to develop the strategy of smart cities through the positioning of Huawei as a strategic partner for cities and local governments in Nis, Belgrade and Novi Sad. “Through joint work, through the exchange of information the platform for the development of local potentials and the building of local ecosystems in the field of digital transformation in the public, financial, educational, energy and transport sector will be provided which is of particular importance for the future development of Nis, as a great Balkan hub, “Bulatovic said after arriving in Beijing. Mayor Bulatovic will also take part in the Digital Silk Road Forum, one of the thematic forums under the Second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation. The City of Nis together with the City of Hangzhou from China has been appointed as the pilot cities for the initiative of the economic cooperation along the China-Serbia Digital Silk Road.
- Nis City Mayor Darko Bulatovic with his associates met with the Chinese state-economic delegation at Nis City Hall. The Chinese delegation visited Nis, as part of a visit to Serbia organized by the Wanli Think Thank Association from Beijing. The delegation was led by Mr. Zhao Yue, the Secretary General. The visit of the delegation to Serbia is the result of the cooperation with the Center for Intercultural Communication and Mediation Konflaks whose president is the former Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Serbia Mr. Ivan Mrkic. The possibilities for cooperation were analyzed at the meeting and the investment opportunities were presented as well as the possible participation of the delegation of Chinese businessmen at this year’s Nis Advanced Technology Forum.
- At the International Conference on the Digital Economy in the Chinese city of Hangzhou, the Letter of Intent on strengthening the development of the Information Silk Road between City of Hangzhou and the City of Nis was signed. City of Hangzhou, People’s Republic of China and City of Nis, Republic of Serbia (hereinafter referred to the Parties), based upon an agreement on the significant role the digital economy has played in both economic and social development, has reached hereby a consensus that more cooperation with respect to digital economy shall be in demand as follows on the principle of equality, mutual respect, generally accepted rules of international law and mutual benefits. Mihajlo Zdravkovic, the Member of Nis City Council for Economy and Local Economic Development, signed the Letter on the behalf of the City of Nis. The Letter of Intent, signed with the representatives of the City of Hangzhou, for establishing a pilot zone of economic cooperation along the China-Serbia Digital Silk Road will be very important and useful project for the City of Nis, having in mind the capacities of our city in the fields of electronics, mechanical engineering and information and communication technologies and the fact that we strived to fully utilize these capacities in order to improve the quality of life in the city, as well as the services that the city and its institutions provide to citizens. Positive examples and experiences that we will gain through the cooperation with the City of Hangzhou, which is recognizable by its developed digital economy and successful IT companies, will be valuable for us.