- The visit of the Bavarian business delegation to Nis was organized by Bavaria’s state ministry for the economy and the German-Serbian Chamber of Commerce. The delegation was comprised of the representatives of 10 companies from different fields, together with the representatives of the Bavarian Ministry Mr. Martin Grossman and Ms. Ursula Heinzel, whose mission of the visit to Serbia was getting to know the potentials for Serbia’s cooperation with this German province, which was considered to be among the richest and most developed region of Europe.
- The City of Nis accepted the establishment of cooperation with the Roma Education Fund on the implementation of measures and activities related to the improvement of the position of Roma within the framework of the projects “Improving Young Roma Employment”, Phase II, with the support of the German financial cooperation program implemented by the German Development Bank KFW on behalf of the Government of the Republic of Germany-Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development. The objective of the project is to promote employability and increase the competitiveness of members of the Roma national minority in the labor market. The project includes practical assistance, creating effective and efficient mechanisms necessary to combat discrimination and the creation of conditions in which Roma can exercise all rights with a focus on access to the education system and employment. Through the project various vocational trainings, internships in the public and private sectors are realized, thus enabling young Roma to improve their skills, competences and become competitive on the labor market. Within the project, mechanisms will be established that continuously improve the professional skills of users and promote their employability. Employment of young Roma men and women is a complex and multidimensional process in which it is necessary to establish cooperation with the employers from public and private sector, while, at the same time, implement activities that strengthen the competence of young Roma for the labor market. Establishing cooperation is aimed at attracting employers and actively contributing to the creation of stimulating employment conditions for young Roma through a developed individual approach with a special emphasis on the principle of gender equality. The time for realization of the cooperation is until the completion of the project, i.e. November 2021.
- The City of Nis accepted the participation and co-financing of the project “Supporting Socio-Economic Stability in the Region of the Western Balkans 2019-2020”, which is financed by the German government and implemented by HELP-Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V. in cooperation with local partners, municipalities and cities in Serbia. The project objective is to increase the capacity of economically and socially vulnerable population groups and to improve treatment programs in institutions for the enforcement of criminal sanctions and reintegration processes and their full involvement in society. The total value of the Program at the level of the Republic of Serbia is 969.230,00 Euros. The value of the Project for the City of Nis is 72,000 euros, of which the City co-finances the project in the amount of 28,800.00 euros and the Government of the Republic of Germany with funds in the amount of 43,200.00 euros. The project will be implemented in the territory of the City of Nis in the period from the signing of the Contract until December 31, 2020. The project is based on educational and economic support to the local development of the City of Nis, with the implementation of mechanisms for strengthening the development of micro businesses in the city. The main activities will concentrate on the direct opening of new jobs, through the help to small businesses in the form of grants, organizing business and vocational training. HELP-Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V. will support the implementation of existing local development strategies and support the sustainable development process as a whole. Within the project, at least 30 micro businesses in Nis will be supported in their intentions for starting or developing business activities. Support includes: donation in equipment or material with an average value of EUR 2,400.00; organization of business and professional training according to user’s needs.
- The City of Nis has accepted cooperation on the project Energy Efficiency in Public Buildings-DKTIEE, implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, supported by the Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development of Germany, in partnership with Republic of Serbia line ministries: the Ministry of Mining and Energy, which is in charge of energy, efficient use of energy and energy efficiency, as the main political partner, as well as with the Ministry of Construction, Transport and Infrastructure, which is in charge of energy in building efficiency. GIZ and the City of Nis will cooperate to improve energy efficiency in public buildings at the local level by encouraging decision-making on the rehabilitation of buildings and developing the capacities of relevant stakeholders. The overall goal of the project is to improve energy efficiency in the Republic of Serbia. The specific objective of the project is to increase energy efficiency in public buildings with a focus on 6,500 schools and kindergartens in Serbia. The expected results of the cooperation for the City of Nis are as follows: improved legal framework conditions for increasing energy efficiency; the City of Nis will be able to strategically plan the renovation of schools and kindergartens and adopt investment decisions based on instruments for estimating the costs and benefits of measures of increasing energy efficiency; expertise and advisory services related to the possibilities of increasing energy efficiency in the building; capacity building for the implementation of these measures in public buildings; the janitors in schools and kindergartens will be able to maintain energy efficient systems and thus contribute to the energy management system in municipalities. The planned duration of the project is until December 2019.
- After the signing of the memorandum on providing the framework for the improvement of the position of the Roma, signed by the Mayor of Nis and the Ministry of Construction, Transport and Infrastructure, the implementation of the ROMACTED program, which includes promotion of good governance and empowerment of the Roma community at the local level, supported by the EU and the Council of Europe being in charge of its implementation, started. As a part of the program activities, the part of the city where Roma population is predominantly live got new children’s playground. The project is supported by the German Development Agency GIZ and the value of building this playground with new play equipment is 10.000,00 EUR.
- Support to Socio-Economic Stability in the Western Balkans Region is the project financed by German Government and it is implemented by HELP -Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V. in cooperation with local partners in Leskovac Nis, Medvedja, Pirot, Svrljig.The overall objective of the regional project is to increase the capacity of economically and socially vulnerable groups to participate more fully in society while the specific objectives aim to decrease poverty levels among economically vulnerable groups, increase access to labour market in Serbia for the former prisoners, and contribute inclusion or Roma into Montenegrin society.Through in-kind grants, educational/vocational training, networking and mentoring the project activities will lead to economic empowerment of the targeted group, decrease the level of poverty, and increase their employment prospects. The value of the project for the City of Nis is 120,000.00 euros, of which the city co-finances the project in the amount of EUR 48,000.00, and the Government of the Republic of Germany in the amount of EUR 72,000.00. The project is implemented in the territory of the City of Niš in the period from July 2017 to December 31.
- “Support to Integration of Roma and Other Vulnerable Groups into the Labor Market in the Waste Management Sector – Pilot Project in the City of Nis” as a sub-project within the project “Waste Management in the Context of Climate change “(DKTI) is implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. The overall goal of the project is to improve the waste management system by integrating secondary raw material collectors into the system, through various, customized models. The specific objectives of the project are: establishing a database on secondary raw material collectors in the City of Nis; increasing the recycling rate in the City of Nis; reducing the amount of waste that ends at the city landfill; improvement of the work of utility services in the field of waste management; developing a model of collector integration into a waste management system adapted to local needs; providing decent jobs for vulnerable groups. The aim of the cooperation within this project is to examine the possibilities of solving the problems of informal waste collectors in Nis through the introduction of an appropriate system of their registration, in order to monitor the movement of waste and enable marginalized groups to be legally included in the waste management system, in accordance with the objectives of the subproject. The lead partner in the project is GIZ, and the City of Nis and the Republican Union of Secondary Raw Material Collectors are contributors to the project. The project implementation period is 14 months. The total value of the project is 50,000 Euros, and the project is fully financed by GIZ.
- The successful cooperation of the City of Nis and the German non-governmental organization HELP -Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V. has continued by signing the contract for the implementation of the project “Support to Socio-Economic Stability in the Region”. The value of the project is 120,000 euros and the City participates with 48,000 euros. The project will allow 50 micro and small emerging businesses to receive a grant in equipment. The project will cover unemployed women, convicts, people with disabilities and the socially disadvantaged citizens of Nis. They will individually get help in equipment worth € 2,400 to realize their ideas.
- The City of Nis and Siemens Company have signed the Agreement on Business and Technical Cooperation in the Field of Technical Infrastructure, Energy Sustainability and Transport. This agreement will allow both parties to exchange information on technical and technological trends in the implementation of innovative, energy efficient and reliable products and solutions for cities, which are directly applicable to the City of Nis.
- MoU has been signed with the German organization HELP -Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V.. The subject of this MoU is cooperation between signatories through activities aimed at improving the position of the vulnerable population. Specific measures that should be implemented are the promotion and encouragement of employment and self-employment of young people, Roma and other minority populations, persons with disabilities and other unemployed persons, and especially those who seek employment, integration of refugees and displaced persons, returnees under readmission agreements, Roma population and other socially disadvantaged groups.
- The project “Poverty Reduction and Improvement of Employment Opportunities for Marginalized and Vulnerable Population Groups in Serbia” was presented. This project is being implemented by the humanitarian organization HELP -Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V from May 2013 to the end of December 2016 with donor support from the German Government and the City of Nis. The participation of the City of Niš is in the amount of 125,567 euros. The implementation of the part of the project related to 2015 provides an opportunity for the unemployed population in Nis to apply for a grant in equipment worth 1,200.00 or 2,400.00 euros, with which they will start a small business and thus secure a job for themselves, and a regular family source of income. This is the fifth project cycle implemented by the City of Nis together with the HELP -Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V organization and the total number of beneficiaries of grants in equipment in Niš is 353 at the moment.
- Reducing poverty and improving the employment opportunities of marginalized and vulnerable population groups in Serbia is the project implemented by HELP – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V. in cooperation with City of Nis, the City of Vranje, the Correctional Penitentiary Institution of Nis and the District Prison of Vranje. HELP will, in cooperation with the Correctional Facility in Nis, procure equipment worth 40,000.00 euros for the Correctional Penitentiary in Nis with the aim of engaging a large number of convicts who through the engagement will gain the necessary experience and contribute to better treatment of convicts in the period of serving their sentence. HELP will support 10 convicts from the territory of the City of Nis after a period of punishment in their intentions for starting or developing business activities. The support includes 10 individual donations in the form of equipment and/or materials of average value up to 2,400.00 euros. The business trainings will also be organized for at least 30 prisoners, as well as vocational training for a total of 25 convicts and employees of the Penitentiary Correctional Institute in Nis. Business and professional training will be organized in accordance with the needs of the prisoners and will include business counseling. Psychosocial support will be provided to the families of prisoners who are beneficiaries of the project in cooperation with the NGO Center for Human Rights from Nis, which has the necessary expertise in this field. The total value of the project component is 165,000 euros. Total direct investments in the territory of the City of Nis are EUR 79,625. This project component is funded by the German Government with 100,000 Euros, the Penitentiary Correcttional Institute of Nis with 20,000 Euros, and the City of Nis, the City of Vranje and the Vranje County District with 15,000 Euros. The duration of the project is 26 months.
- Together with 12 other municipalities from Serbia, the City of Nis and its 5 city municipalities (Palilula, Mediana, Pantelej, Niska Banja and Crveni Krst) participate in the GIZ SoSYEP program for the development of local action plans for young people. The development of the Local Action Plan for the Youth of the City of Nis is supported by the RS Ministry of Youth and Sports, and will be funded by the German Organization for International Cooperation GIZ.
- Thanks to Ms. Vida Vuckovic, the president of the Central Council of Serbs in Hessen, and the donations from our diaspora, the City of Nis was given the opportunity to present itself at the stand of Serbian writers during the Book Fair in Frankfurt.
- The German NGO HELP – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V.and the City of Nis have signed the Cooperation Agreement on the project “Poverty Reduction and Improvement of Employment Opportunities for Marginalized and Vulnerable Population Groups in Serbia”, which is being implemented with donor support from the German Government and target cities and municipalities of Pirot, Nis and Smederevo. The overall objective of the project is to include marginalized Roma and other socially disadvantaged groups in the social and economic life of the country and reduce poverty among target groups. The main activities will concentrate on job creation through assistance to small businesses and cooperatives, providing business and professional training and education as well as organizing thematic workshops and related networking activities of supported users and relevant institutions and organizations.
- The 9th Beethoven Symphony in Ns was performed as part of the national program of commemorating the anniversary of the Edict of Milan. The German Embassy in Belgrade financially helped the organization the concert.
- As a result of a joint project of “Different Together” and the German organization IB Behindretenhilfe, information and educational services and counseling for people with mental, emotional and multiple disabilities have been opened in Niš, located in Pariske Komune Street.
- Nis City Department for Agriculture and Rural Development applied with the project “Rural Development Strategy” with InWent and SWG, on the basis of which long-term cooperation was established. The Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development of Germany, through its agency InWent, organized two training sessions in Germany in which the transfer of knowledge in the field of rural development was carried out. The Department for Agriculture and Rural Development had the opportunity, together with representatives of Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Macedonia, through interactive teamwork and participation, to become acquainted with terminology, examples of good practice in regional rural governance.
- Forty grant agreements have been signed with selected small businesses supported under the project “Supporting Local Sustainable Development through Poverty Reduction and Economic Empowerment”, funded by the German Government and target cities and municipalities. The value of part of the project for the City of Nis amounts to 149,672 euros, of which the City itself co-finances about 32 percent, or 48 thousand euros. The German government is supporting Nis for the fourth time. So far, 317 clients have been recruited in this way. Ten clients in the field of crafts and handicrafts (jewelry making, women’s leather goods, decorative candle production, etc.) and 30 in the field of service activities are supported. This is the first cycle in Nis in which participation of those under 35 of age has exceeded expectations and is 60 % and the participation of supported women is 53%. The signatories to the grant contract will receive equipment with an average value of € 2400, which will enable them to secure a job and a regular source of income. In addition to the equipment, entrepreneurs will be able to attend business and professional training to improve and sustain business. The obligations of the signatories are registration of activities, attendance of business and professional training, return of 20% of the grant value and 15 hours of work for the benefit of the local community.
- Contract with KfW (City of Nis, City Public Utility Compani for District Heating Toplana Nis, Ministry of Finance, and Ministry of Energy) was signed for the 4th phase of district heating rehabilitation.
- The implementation of a joint project by IB Behindertnhilfe from Germany and the organization Different Together – the establishment of an information service and counseling center for people with disabilities has begun. The City of Nis provided space for this project. The City of Nis has signed the Protocol on Cooperation with IB Behindertnhilfe (2010) and cooperation was established through the Central Council of Serbs in Hessen.
- The day of the fall of the Berlin Wall was marked in Nis by the concert in the Symphony Orchestra – a gift from the German Embassy in Belgrade.
- At the end of 2010 the Memorandum of Understanding was signed with the consulting firm Ambero Consulting concerning the implementation of the project “Improvement of Land Management at the Level of Local Governments in Serbia”, funded by the German Technical Cooperation GTZ in cooperation with the Government of the Republic of Serbia. The purpose of the Memorandum is to define the cooperation in the implementation of the technical support to project of property structure analysis and the development of the detailed regulation plan and re-parcelation project for Science Technological Park. The City of Nis received the location atlas, the register of facilities and the register of vacant sites within the complex of EI Holding, Feasibility Study Draft with focus on further development of EI Holding complex based on conducted market analysis and location analysis.
- The City of Nis and the German humanitarian organization HELP – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V. signed 80 individual contracts for the donation of equipment for starting the business operations and two contracts with cooperatives – Cegar and Nis Chance, under the second cycle of the Local Sustainable Development Support through Poverty Reduction Program and thus the number of supported small businesses in Nis increased to 354. Individual contracts refer to donations in equipment worth 2000 euros each, and two contracts were signed with cooperatives for equipment worth 30 000 euros. The project is funded by the German Government and target cities and municipalities, and its total value is approximately 956 000 euros. The project is being implemented in the cities of Nis and Vranje and the municipalities of Aleksinac, Bujanovac, Pirot and Presevo, in cooperation with the NGO ENECA from Nis and EDEAS from Bujanovac. The value of the part of the project implemented in the territory of the City of Nis amounts to 320 000 euros, of which the financial contribution of the City is 130 000 euros.
- The Protocol on Cooperation with the International Association for the Assistance to Persons with Disabilities (Internationaler Bund – Behindertenhilfe Hessen), based in Oberursel, Germany, has been signed. IB Behindertenhilfe will provide counseling services in the development of social plans and support in the implementation of various projects, as well as support to the City of Nis in setting up an Emergency Resource Center, ambulance service, day care workshops, as well as departments dealing with psychosocial problems.
- Memorandum of Understanding wassigned with German NGO HELP – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe e.V. on realization of project Poverty Reduction through Local Sustainable Development in Southern Serbia, funded by German Government and implemented by HELP in cooperation with local partners, i.e. NGOs ENECA-Economic Expert Community Association from Nis and EDEAS – Economic Development Association from Bujanovac. The project will be implemented from July 1, 2010 until December 31, 2011. The City of Nis and HELP will cooperate in the implementation of the project on the following issues: support to the implementation of the Local Sustainable Development Strategy; identifying and connecting partners with particular attention paid to the micro, small and medium-sized enterprises; direct job creation and improvement of employment opportunities for vulnerable categories of the population – young, unemployed, single parents and persons with disabilities. The total value of the project is EUR 956,200.00, of which the German Government is funding EUR 450,000.00 and the cities and municipalities involved in the project EUR 373,000.00, of which the participation of the City of Nis is EUR 130,000.
- HELP Regional Representative for South East Europe Timo Stegelman and Nis City Mayor Milos Simonovic presented digital X-ray software worth 662,000.00 RSD to the Dental Diseases and Endodontics Department of the Nis Dental Clinic, which was procured as part of the project “Support to Local Sustainable Development in Southern Serbia”
- The Center for International Migration and Development (CIM) provides human resources as part of development cooperation with Germany. CIM recruits experts from Germany and European Union countries and co-finances their engagement from the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, for which they receive an average salary from local employers. In its work CIM relies on the German Technical Cooperation Organization (GTZ) and the Federal Employment Agency (BA). In cooperation with CIM, an expert in the tasks of solving the problem of rehabilitation of the existing landfill and waste management has been hired at the City of Nis Administration for Communal Services, Energy and Transport. Also, at the Mayor’s Office for Local Economic Development an expert is engaged in the activities of supporting local economic development activities.
- The City of Nis renewed contacts with the city of Bad Homburg and initiated twinning, with which friendly cooperation was established in 1999. During this period, the City of Bad Homburg supported the Day Care Center for Children, Youth and Adult People with Disabilities – Mara, Kindergartens in Nis and Clinical Center through donations in equipment.
- With the support of the Serbian Chamber of Commerce in Frankfurt the cooperation was established with the business community of the German Federal State of Hessen.
- The representatives of the Provincial Museum in Trier and the Executive Director of the Constantine Exhibition in 2007 participated in the conference entitled Directions and Modalities for International Cooperation of the City of Nis in the Field of Culture. The conference is part of the project “Development of the Program Basis and Promotion of the Nis City Office for International Cooperation in Science, Education and Culture”. The first day of the conference was the final step before the establishment of the Nis City Office for International Cooperation in Science, Education and Culture. Its purpose was to hear, after initial internal consultations, the opinions and suggestions of important partners outside the city – representatives of the Ministry of Culture and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Serbia, cultural attachés of embassies and cultural centers in Serbia, representatives of the donor community and local experts in the field of cultural policies. The second day of the conference was dedicated to presentations and exchange of experience in the field of research, protection, valorisation and promotion of the cultural heritage of Constantine cities: Trier (Germany), Arles (France), Milan (Italy), Izmit (Turkey), Carnuntum – Petronell (Austria), York (United Kingdom) and Nis (Serbia).
- The delegation of the City of Trier paid an official visit to the City of Nis. On this occasion they discussed the possibilities of cooperation in the implementation of joint projects commemorating the 1700th anniversary of the Edict of Milan and exchanged experiences in the field of research, protection, valorisation and promotion of the cultural heritage of Constantine’s cities.
- The Memorandum of Understanding has been signed with the German NGO HELP on the implementation of sustainable development projects in 2009 and 2010 related to the socio-economic support to vulnerable categories of the population, young people, the unemployed, single parents and persons with disabilities. One of the main goals of the collaboration is job creation through the development of start-up businesses and entrepreneurship. Through the development of start-up businesses and entrepreneurship at least 80 clients will be supported in their intentions to start or develop business. The support will include a donation in the form of equipment and materials with an average value of up to € 2,000.00, organization of business and professional training in accordance with the needs of clients and business consulting.
- The City of Nis has signed the Cooperation Agreement with the German non-governmental organization HELP within the project “Support to Local Sustainable Development in Southern Serbia”, which is related to providing donations for start-up businesses, organizing business and professional training, organizing professional practice in private companies.
- The German Embassy in Belgrade and the German non-governmental organization HELP provided a neurofeedback apparatus for the needs of the Children’s and Youth Day Hospital of the Clinic for Mental Health and Neuropsychiatry of the Nis Clinical Center.
- By signing trilateral agreement on the use of KfW funds intended for the implementation of the program “Rehabilitation of the Local Heating System in Serbia – Phase III”, in July 2008 between the Republic of Serbia, the City of Nis and PUC for District Heating Toplana Nis, the conditions for realization of the favorable loan arrangement for the procurement of equipment and services intended for the rehabilitation and modernization of the local heating system by PUC Toplana Nis were met.
- With the donation of the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany the housing units were built for 40 refugee families from Bosna and Herzegovina and Croatia and the implementation partner in the project was the Federal Technical Assistance Institution – THW.
- The German government donated funds for the adaptation of the Department of Invasive Diagnostics at the Cardiovascular Diseases Clinic of the Nis Clinical Center, as well as the medical equipment for state-of-the-art cardiac catheterization and angiography laboratory.
- The City of Nis has signed the Protocol on Cooperation with the German government organization GTZ on the following projects: modernization of municipal services, energy efficiency, development of the municipal waste management strategy, integrated collection for the period 2001-2004.
- The German Government, through the Credit Institution for Reconstruction – KfW, provided a grant of a 8.2 million euros to PUC for district heating Toplana Nis for 2 phases of district heating reconstruction project (2001, 2002, 2003).
- The German Government, through the Credit Institution for the Restoration – KfW, provided a grant of a € 4.7 million to PUC Naissus for 2 phases of the rehabilitation of the water supply system (2001 and 2002).
- The German Agency for Reconstruction and Development donated two garbage collecting trucks on behalf of the German Government to the City of Nis.
- The Asphalt for Democracy Program was implemented, giving the city bitumen for paving city streets worth 100,000 German marks.